Thursday, March 05, 2009

The end of TV as we know it.

Up until now in our home, the boys' television watching has consisted mostly of kid shows. For a long while it was PBS, then we moved to Noggin, Disney and the like. We don't watch much TV, but I am not opposed to limited amounts. It was a big deal when we moved to Boomerang. The boys discovered The Jetsons, Tom and Jerry and Wacky Races. A little more "high speed" but still ok with me.

Well, that's all changed.

Someone clue them into the 600's on DirecTV. In the 600 lineup one will find the Speed Network, Versus and Fuel. What's on these channels, you might ask?

Motocross
Drag Racing
Bull Riding
BMX
Extreme Sports

and my personal favorite...

Monster Truck Races



So now instead of Wonder Pets or Super Why, I can hear all about the new paint job on the monster truck. Or about the flames that shoot out of the drag racing cars. Or how the motorcycle guy almost ran over another guy. At ANY given time, some extreme "sport" is on one of these networks. You, too, can watch a Monster Truck race at any.time.of.the.day.

We already watch plenty of sports on the weekends. Somehow I had this illusion that we could stick with "educational" shows forever.

Ok, honestly, I knew they would grow out of Sesame Street and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. But Monster Truck races??? Really????


My only saving grace.....at least it's not wrestling!



3 comments:

tww said...

this is so funny! i can relate... except for N and E it is now things like myth busters!

i got your call yesterday... we are actually away in florida! i'll call you soon xoxo

tww said...

oops that was from tania, not tim!

Barbara said...

Ugh -- male TV. My husband watches hunting and he's not even a hunter. I'd truly rather watch paint dry! Since we got all these channels (a result of wanting EWTN) we now have this unspoken struggle -- he knows I'd rather watch an old movie and he'd rather not! Occasionally he gives in. Men!