Friday, February 27, 2009

Slow week

We've still got sickies here....

So you know it's been a slow week when the two biggest pieces of excitement are the purchase of this and the announcement that our county will now accept all types of food-grade plastic for recycling. Yesss!!


The leaf blower and vac claims to mulch 16 bags down to 1. Yes, I probably should have made a purchase like that in October when my dear hubby was raking every spare minute of the day. But what drove me over the edge was having the dead leaves constantly in our garage area swirling around the door. I felt having all the dead stuff around was bad ju-ju or something. At the very least it can't be good for the allergy sufferers who live here. So now, I can blow them all into a tidy pile and then suck them right up into the automatic mulcher. Life is good.

As for my second piece of news, I know it doesn't sound very interesting. But after living in Washington State and Maine where we could recycle EVERYTHING, one of my biggest pet peeves about this area is how they would only accept "plastic bottles with a neck" (i.e. milk jugs or soda bottles). Up until now, everything else was verboten. But now....now we have a new non-sorting system and I can put any food plastics in the bin.

Yes, that's right....strawberry containers, yogurt cups, ketchup bottles.

And even better....we no longer have to sort and separate. So my newspapers can be right in with my un-collapsed cardboard and butter tubs.

Woo-hoo!

I'd like to pretend I'm joking about my level of excitement, but I am so totally not. I practically whooped with joy when I read the flyer about what we can recycle now.

It just makes life that much easier and I feel tremendously less guilty about our yogurt consumption when I know I don't have to fill the landfills because of it.

Anyway, I have to return back to my nurse duties and administer more motrin and gatorade.

Spring comes soon, right? With less germs too, right???

Until then you can find me poring over my leaf blower manual while I eat a cup of yogurt.

5 comments:

bandwidow said...

Yes, having been born and raised in the greater Seattle area I find it overwhelming sometimes when we travel to non-recycling destinations, happy for you!

elizabeth (beth) bermani said...

I completely understand and share your excitement. The silly things you take for granted. Here, we have tiny little bins (four of them) that we then have to walk to other bins for sorting and disposal. The bins they gave us for home storage are so small that on most days, they don’t even take the entire day to fill. Oh, how I long for our old one-bin-takes-all recycling monster of a container that we just had to wheel out to the curb. Man, those were the good ‘ol days.

tania said...

hope you guys are feeling better!!

Charlotte (WaltzingM) said...

We have sickies here, but I hope you are all on the mend. Spring does bring less colds, but more rashy viruses in our house. Not fun. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me over at my blog and since you claim that there are only five readers here, I thought I would let you know that now, it is six!

Angoraknitter said...

Oh I'd love a leaf eliminator like that!