Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar recap

Slumdog--Brilliant all around! I'm so thrilled to see it get the recognition I feel it deserved!!

Penelope Cruz...talented and beautiful. I thought she had a lovely acceptance speech.

My one snarky comment, I love Reese Witherspoon, but that was not her best choice of dresses.

Who knew Hugh could sing so well. Fantastic!

I liked the tribute previous winners gave to each nominee. At first I wasn't sure about the concept, but after watching the first round, I thought it a lovely way to really recognize and honor the actors being nominated. Seeing clips from movies I haven't seen has never really encouraged me to go watch a performance. But hearing their peers talk about the role and seeing the sentimentality worked for me.

I did not like, however the blue screen with movie clips that was being shown in the background while the previous winners were talking. Kung Fu panda kept popping up on the screen at the weirdest times...did anyone else notice that?

Lots of lovely dresses. Some very nice speeches, some (expected) political ones....Danny Boyle is a treat, Kate Winslet admitted we all gave speeches with shampoo bottles.

Overall, a better show this year then many previous ones in my humble opinion.

Yea!!! Slumdog!!!!

2 comments:

Saint Maker said...

Yeah slumdog! I was holding down mute when many gave their speeches... i'm not PC what-so-ever, and I had the unfortunate experience of seeing 'the reader'... ICK, Yick, blah... And I had no desire to see Milk. I'm an avid movie goer... but so much Hollywood disappoints. :(

You have chosen a lovey motif btw! Beautiful!

Denise said...

I didn't see The Reader, but I remember reading the book and I didn't think it was all that great.

Thanks for the motif compliment. Complement? I can never remember :-)